- Commercial Services
- Employment Support
Textile & Craft Area
The Textile and Craft Area is a varied and exciting department to work in offering the opportunity to train across a wide range of textile skills and practices.
You can develop your practical skills; feel more comfortable working with others, learn quality production and gain confidence as you progress to working more independently and developing design ideas to enhance our product range.
Workwise understands the importance of team effort, so all projects are designed around team working and co-operation. We encourage you to develop a professional approach that will enhance your employability in the future.
While on work-based training in the Textile & Craft Area, you can learn about:
- Use of industrial and domestic sewing machines
- Work on production for our CAVERN 4 shop
- Digitizing images for computerised embroidery
- Heat transfer printing on textiles and T-shirt design
- Learn computer aided design (CAD) software; working to a design brief
- Fabric identification, colour matching and patchwork quilt construction
- Use of a computer operated long-arm quilter
- Customer awareness and expectations, and basic marketing theory
- Also working with other departments on items such as upholstery for the Woodwork department
You can arrange a visit before agreeing to a referral to see how you get on.